I send out weekly emails containing the Government’s latest action and guidance but I thought this might be a more effective way to reach out to those who do not see my emails.
It also gives me the chance to let you know what I have been doing as your MP. This is a difficult time for so many and my team and I are working round the clock to provide help and guidance.
How our communities have come together has been incredible to witness. These groups who are assisting the vulnerable, elderly and isolated, need all the support they can get and I am pushing for further resources as well as sending volunteers to assist. I have published a full list of all the groups across South Devon on my website (https://www.anthonymangnall.co.uk/…/coronavirus-community-s…), please check this page for support in your local area.
Please also let others know and share the contact details so that no one is left behind.
Personal Protective Equipment is of utmost importance. I have spoken to countless people who have detailed shortfalls in care homes, surgeries and hospitals. These concerns have not fallen of deaf ears and I have spoken to the Health Secretary’s team, the Prime Minister PPS and the local health trusts. There are undoubtedly some problems with the supply chain and I am keeping the pressure on until we resolve this issue. No health worker should be expected to perform their duties without the proper protective equipment.
Before the lockdown, I was very clear that ‘non-essential travel’ does not mean people should drive across the country to their second homes, Airbnbs or holiday parks. I have been dismayed that this has not been listened to and I am even more concerned that the flow of tourists does not seem to be slowing. I am a firm supporter of #ComeBackLater campaign and I urge anyone reading this to remain at home and follow the government's advice to Stay at home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives.
Non-essential travel also means that you should not travel across South Devon to take your dog for a walk. We need to minimise travel so that we can slow the spread of COVID-19. I recognise this might be inconvenient but it makes a huge difference. So please follow the rules.
You can find further information on the government’s advice https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
It is clear that many small businesses owners and operators have fallen through the cracks and are unable to benefit from the government’s measures of support. The same can be said of the self-employed.
I have been listening carefully to those concerns and passing them straight back to the Treasury team. It is my express hope that they will listen and take the appropriate action and announce further measures. I understand there may well be further announcements made in due course regarding this area.
The full list of government support can be found through the following link:
Testing, Testing, Testing
The economy has been put on standby while we get through this situation. To re-ignite our economy we need to get people back to work.
However, the only way we can do so is by testing. I know it, you know it, we all know it. But we aren’t getting the test results we need to either reassure you or to match our European counterparts. Communication in this area must be clear and I have been asking Whitehall teams for updates and information re-testing. I will continue to demand action here.
On the plus side, I have been speaking to the CCG and other health care providers. Their updates have been positive and reassuring. I have also discussed how we can work on providing extensive coverage within our rural communities and we continue to work on rolling out extra support.
A few other points
• I am pushing banks to behave responsibly and repay their debt for being bailed out in 2008 – that means
• Insurance company pay-outs are an issue that has been raised too many times. I am working with officials to see what can be done to help support those businesses who have insurance but have been denied pay-outs
• Dentist from across the constituency have contacted me and raised significant concern about their future and I have spoken to the Health Team to see what can be done
• On-the-water businesses are desperately concerned about their future and I am in contact with the local authorities as well as the department for MHCLG to see what support can be given
• Overseas citizens – the Government has announced £75m to help bring back tourists from overseas. I have a comprehensive list of all constituents abroad and I am working with them and the Foreign and Commonwealth to get them home
• I am hosting my first Climate Change Roundtable group discussion this evening and will be holding them frequently to be able to feed into the Cop 26 conference when it is held in 2021
• Kevin Foster MP, Sir Gary Streeter MP and I are all in constant contact and working together to ensure a joined-up approach
• I speak regularly to individuals, business and local support groups, the entire purpose of my role is to help you so if I can please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
I recognise the fear, stress and complexity of the situation. We will get through this together. The support you are providing within your constituency is invaluable. Whether you are helping deliver food, calling a neighbour or supporting a local business it is all making a huge difference.