Information for employers and businesses
If you need medical help, please use the 111 online coronavirus service.
The following information is for employers and small businesses regarding the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and provides advice on:
- Business support announcements
- Government email alerts, about Coronavirus, click here
- Additional Resources
Budget announcement – Business support
The recent budget has announced a number of measures to provide support for public services, individuals and businesses to ensure the impact of COVID-19 is minimised. The following initiatives have been announced:
- A new Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme, delivered by the British Business Bank, will enable businesses with a turnover of no more than £41 million to apply for a loan of up to £1.2 million, with the government covering up to 80% of any losses with no fees. This will unlock up to £1 billion pounds to protect and support small businesses.
- For businesses with fewer than 250 employees, the cost of providing 14 days of statutory sick pay per employee will be refunded by the government in full. This will provide 2 million businesses with up to £2 billion to cover the costs of large-scale sick leave.
- A dedicated helpline has been set up to help businesses and self-employed individuals in financial distress and with outstanding tax liabilities receive support with their tax affairs. Through this, businesses may be able to agree a bespoke Time to Pay arrangement. If you are concerned about being able to pay your tax due to COVID-19, call HMRC’s dedicated helpline on 0800 0159 559.
- There will be a £3,000 cash grant to 700,000 of our smallest businesses, delivered by Local Authorities, and worth a total of £2 billion.
- The government is temporarily increasing the business rates retail discount in England to 100% for 2020-21 for properties below £51,000 rateable value. Nearly half of all business properties will not pay a penny of business rates.
- The government has put a range of support in place for those who do not receive Statutory Sick Pay, including Universal Credit and contributory Employment and Support Allowance. Click here for more information
- ACAS has published information for employees and employers, including simple steps to help protect the health and safety of staff
- a number of private lenders are also making funds available to small businesses impacted by COVID-19, including £2 billion from Lloyds Banking Group and £5 billion from NatWest
If you have a query that isn’t covered by this guidance you can contact the Business Support Helpline on 0300 456 3565
I am continuing to work with Councillors, businesses, employees, headteachers and health workers to ensure that our approach is joined up and effective.
As the application process opens for these grant and support systems I will update my website as soon as is possible but please also routinely check the Government’s website
Anthony Mangnall MP