More and more banks are closing across the country every day, leaving people are unable or unwilling to use online banking at risk of being cut off from banking services.
Fortunately, there is a solution to hand as The Access to Cash Group has been trialling a pilot scheme known as the Banking Hub. I therefore decided to explore the viability of these banking hubs in South Devon.
To date, I have:
- Met with the Post Office and Access to Cash Group to learn more about the project
- Written to banks requesting that they reconsider their provision of banking services
- Met with the relevant Government Minister to discuss local banking services
- Welcomed the news that Brixham was identified as one of five new places where a shared banking hub would be launched
- Worked with Brixham Town Council and the Access to Cash Group to facilitate discussions around potential locations for a banking hub
- Officially opened the new Brixham Banking Hub
I am well aware that banking services are limited in other South Devon towns, so will continue to work with the Access to Cash Group and local town councils to explore whether more banking hubs might be opened. This will only be possible is the Brixham Banking Hub proves to be a success, so residents of Brixham and the surrounding area are encouraged to use the facility for their banking needs.