Fishing is an extremely important component of Totnes and South Devon’s economy. We are fortunate to be home to England’s most valuable fishing port, Brixham, alongside Dartmouth and Salcombe.
Currently, there are very few schools in the UK that offer all the necessary qualifications to join the fishing industry, and many of our young people get put off by having to travel to Scotland to complete some qualifications.
I am passionate about ensuring that Brixham stays as England’s most valuable fishing port and that it is manned by those born and bred in the area. The school would also allow those fishermen who are looking for a life away from the waves to pass on their valuable knowledge to the next generation.
To date I have:
- Worked with local stakeholders to explore the possibility of opening a ‘fishing school’ in the constituency.
- Received proposals from South Devon College and other key stakeholders
- Held multiple meetings regarding the college
- Visited the site
- Spoken to fishermen about what they think should be included
- Attended the official opening of the Marine Academy in April 2022, where training will be offered for new marine engineers, boat builders and people who want to enter the fishing industry.
More information about South Devon College Marine Academy can be found here: https://www.southdevon.ac.uk/college/south-devon-college-marine-academy
I will continue to support South Devon College with this new educational establishment over the coming years.