Anthony Mangnall MP pleased to see Dartmouth on National Rail map
Great Western Railway is inviting customers to take a unique journey to Dartmouth this summer – via train, steam railway and boat. The train operator has teamed up with the Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company to offer a throughfare ticket direct to Dartmouth, via Kingswear.
From Monday 13th June 2022, customers will be able to book a train ticket from anywhere in the country and choose Kingswear (for Dartmouth) as their final destination.
Customers will travel by GWR train to Paignton, before connecting with the steam train to Kingswear, and then the foot passenger ferry service to Dartmouth.
This new ticket was championed by Totnes MP Anthony Mangnall, who said:
“This new link and cooperation between GWR and the Dartmouth Steam Railway offers a romantic and unique way to arrive in South Devon.
I hope residents, visitors and tourists alike will make full use of the throughfare ticket to Dartmouth via Kingswear. Not only will it encourage people to leave their cars behind, but also to visit an area of extraordinary beauty on public transport using new and historic lines.
I am so pleased to have been able to work with the fantastic team at GWR and John Jones at Dartmouth Steam Railway. Their determination to be innovative and unique have brought these plans to fruition and I hope that its success will see it continued for many years to come.”
GWR Commercial Director Phil Delaney said:
“We’re proud to serve some truly breathtaking destinations on our network and I’m delighted we can now add Dartmouth to that list with this wonderful through ticket.
“It’s great that we’ve been able to put this partnership in place with Dartmouth Steam Railway and and River Boat Company. I believe our customers will love this unique opportunity to travel by GWR train, steam railway and boat to one of the most picturesque spots the south west has to offer.
“Purchasing your ticket couldn’t be simpler, either online or through the GWR app. Just remember to input Kingswear (for Dartmouth) in the journey planner and the following day you could be experiencing a truly memorable day out.”
Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company Managing Director John Jones said:
“This is a great opportunity for the Dartmouth Steam Railway – it is very exciting to be able to link up with GWR to offer visitors from far and wide the opportunity to enjoy a trip on our steam trains and boats. Passengers are sure to enjoy both the fantastic views and, fingers crossed, the amazing weather!
“I’d like to say a really big thank you to both Anthony Mangnall and GWR for getting this new venture up and running.”
Bookings are available from Monday (13th June) with Tuesday 14th June the first day of travel and will remain on sale until Sunday 30th October when the Steam service ceases for the winter. Tickets are only available when purchased in advance. Bookings close 23.59 the day before travel and reservations are mandatory.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- This press release is from the Office of Anthony Mangnall MP.
- For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01803 868378.
- Purchase a ticket to Dartmouth direct with GWR through our website or app
- Input Kingswear (for Dartmouth) as your destination/origin in the journey planner
- As well as the steam train journey between Paignton and Kingswear, customers can use their Dartmouth national rail ticket at no additional cost on the Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company (DSRRB) foot passenger service between Kingswear and Dartmouth (the ferry crossing takes between 5 and 10 minutes).
- Customers are advised to leave Dartmouth 20-30 minutes before their DSRRB train from Kingswear towards Paignton to allow for connections. The ferry service will operate to connect in and out of steam train services arriving and departing at regular intervals.