South Devon is in the midst of a housing crisis, with a vast number of second homes and holiday lets leading to a lack of affordable options for local people.
This is a complex issue but there are solutions, and I will be offering suggestions ahead of the Planning Bill.
To date I have:
- Worked with Cllr Judy Pearce, leader of South Hams District Council, to push for the closure of the loophole which allowed second homeowners to avoid paying council tax by registering for business rates. In March 2021 it was announced that legislation would be brought forward to stop second homeowners illegitimately reducing their tax liabilities.
- Supported the development of neighbourhood plans to allow local people to have their say on developments in their area.
- Held a zoom meeting with local residents to discuss issues including the insecurity and unaffordability of rental options, as well as possible solutions.
- Written an article in The Times on the housing crisis to raise awareness of the issue.
- Supported the Planning (Enforcement) Bill which aims to hold rogue developers to account.
- Spoke in a debate on affordable housing and planning reform.